Apr 17, 2008

Becoming not-I

If the purpose of life is to become not-I, then how is it done? The I (ego) is made up of all mental functions, such as senses, feelings, thoughts and emotions, which lead to a perception of separateness as an individual self. To reach the state of not-I (union/selflessness), one must go beyond/transcend all the aspects of ego. All religions provide methods of becoming selfless, be it through practice of positive energy/love (service, charity and worship), practice of contractive energy (inward looking through meditation/prayer), or simply stepping back and practicing bare attention/awareness. Since every I is unique, every I will have its own particular method of transcending ego. Good luck!

1 comment:

Hot... said...

You wrote :

Since every I is unique, every I will have its own particular method of transcending ego.

I totally agree with you about this.