Jun 9, 2008

At the Ranch

It’s Sunday again! Seems when I am around water, time flows by quickly.


My job for this month is irrigating. I am responsible for spreading water over about 500 acres of mountain hay meadow and pasture so the grass will grow and the cattle will get fat. The water is distributed by ditches, some dating back 140 years. The trick is to adjust the cuts in the ditchbanks so the water is evenly spread over the land. A lot of shovel work, but the reward is lush grass and a healthy body.


I started irrigating 47 years ago on this same ranch. What is amazing to me is how so little has changed. Sure, trees have grown and died, I’m a lot older, but the land seems timeless. It makes me realize how transient and insignificant individual life is (except to the individual itself!). It also makes me realize the importance of realizing our true nature (Haiku God) before it is too late. It’s all around, and inside too – why so hard to realize?















Travis and Tag enjoying Haiku God

e

No comments: